I was so eager to makeover this pair of dressers that I plain forgot to take a before photo of the highboy dresser. You’ll just have to visualize that it had the same finish as the matching dresser shown below.
Lets take a moment to talk about the dresser in its before state. It is so bland and lifeless. It’s a mix of 80s peach laminate with mid century legs and hardware. The brass plating was coming off the hardware and the “brass” on the legs was painted on, so that definitely had to go. The laminate was chipping and had some weird sun damage spots. I took a closer look at the drawers and discovered the laminate was placed over top of solid wood. Sadly this was only on the drawers, but it was a very exciting find!
The laminate was so thin, so it was fairly easy to sand off using an electric sander and a heavy grit sand paper. Once the drawers were sanded down, several coats of Danish Oil were applied until they were sealed and the finish was even.
The body of the dresser was sanded and patched because there were several dents and scratches. Once the surface was smooth, I applied a few coats of primer. The final top coat is Benjamin Moore Snowfall White in high gloss Advance.
Here’s the final result of the dresser and matching highboy:
The legs were primed, painted and then I taped off the area I wanted to spray to achieve a “dipped” look. I went with metallic copper spray paint since I wanted a neutral colour palette for this pair.